Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Someone to watchout for...

Many, many months ago.... long before I had even met him,
I posted a picture of this person..... This is Rob Appell.



What caught my eye (besides the fact that he's easy on the eyes ;), was this shirt he is wearing. He free-hand embroidered it! I stole (or borrowed, thank you Kathy) this photo off of the Michael Miller Fabrics blog 3 or so years ago, and posted it here! Then, I was at the Portland International Quilt Market 2 yrs. ago where he happened to be walking around the show wearing a similar shirt he had decked out with his cool free-hand work. I stopped him immediately, ooood and aaahd over his sweet shirt and asked him a million questions about how he does what he does, and started, what I hope to become a good friendship! I followed his blog for some time to see what this talented guys was up to, and managed (a few months ago) to score one of his awesome baseball hats with his new trademark logo embroidered on the front! We've spoken a few times since then, and have tossed around a few ideas to incorporate into this new business venture of mine.


I feel very privledged to have had a few minutes of his time where he shared his working knowledge of this industry. It's a competitive world for artists these days. It's rare to find someone who will go out on a limb and share their experiences with a complete stranger.

Thank you Rob.


I promised to post a picture of me in his hat if he would send me one. (I was willing to pay for it and just wanted to know where I could purchase my own), but being the cool guy Rob is, he sent me one... (my apologies, it was the morning after one of my notorious all-nighters sewing for Quilt Market) but a promise is a promise....



Ok, so not the greatest walking advertisement.... But I do LOVE my hat! So let me give you some links to check out! I predict great things for this guy....

Keep your eye out for a little Rob Appell in the not so distant future.....


And if you want to purchase any of Rob's original sweet clothes and accessories... check this out...


Rob, you are a doll... thank you for my hat!

2 comments:

Kat said...

ohhhhhhh I LOVE it! I want one!!! I went to his site and can't find how to buy one but couldn't figure it out. I guess I'll have to "contact" him? I know what Todd can get me for Christmas (or how about a new tradition of Halloween presents?)

Chelsea said...

CUTE!!!